Translate

Sunday, March 3, 2013

BWD Stage 2

Stage 2 - Evidence


Evaluative Criteria:

*Accurate placement of distinct boundaries depicting the four regions on a map of California.

*Accurate placement of major cities and geographical features on a map of California.

*Explanation clearly showing understanding of how the characteristics of a region affect human activity.


Performance Tasks:


1. Task: Build a salt-dough topographic map of California including major geographical features and distinction between regions.

2. Task: Research one region of California making note of the geographical and physical characteristics.

3. Task: Create a Power Point presentation to present and explain your findings to the class.


Other Evidence:


4. Verbal questioning on how certain geographical features of California affect jobs and hobbies in that region.

5. Teacher observation of student work throughout the unit.

6. Completing a paper version of the actual topographical salt-dough map to be created.

7.  Meeting all criteria on the rubric set for grading Power Point presentation.




5 comments:

  1. Great job Aurora! Your stage 2 is very detailed and organized. One of the most specific ones I've seen so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your performance tasks are very clear. Making a salt dough map is always fun and engaging for students, great for kinesthetic learners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last year I let students present a photo essay of a region that they had visited over the summer or previous year. It was fun when about 6 kids showed up with collages about the region that they visited. I really like your tasks. I think that each one reinforces the learning goals in its own way! Great work, I may need to steal this when you are done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way you are guiding students through the creation of a plan before they begin their dough map. Many students (and even adults) dive into projects before sketching out the steps which can mean forgetting to include important points. It's a great idea to break large projects into manageable pieces of learning, teaching them to transfer these steps to future projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your performance tasks are clear and offer great hands-on learning experiences for your students.

    ReplyDelete