Translate
Saturday, February 23, 2013
Unit Sketch
Here is my initial unit sketch. I haven't yet worked out all the details, but I got the ball rolling. Any comments and/or advice would be appreciated.
Unit Topic: California Regions
Subject: History
Grade Level: 4th
Time Frame: Two Weeks
Stage 1: Desired Results
What should students learn as a result of this unit?
Students will:
- be able to identify and describe the various regions of California.
- be able to describe how a region's characteristics and physical environment affects human activity.
Stage 2: Evidence
What evidence will show that students have met the Stage 1 goals?
Students will construct a salt dough map of California labeling major physical features (ex: mountain ranges, valleys), and color coating the different regions. They will also be assigned a region to do some research on to complete a report where they will describe what the region(types of plants, animals, physical characteristics, where it is located, whether), and explain how those factors influence human activity (jobs, recreational activities, attractions). Student will then give a presentation to explain their findings.
Stage 3: Learning Plan
What key learning events will help students reach the goals and be successful on the
assessments?
-Read about the different regions in the California workbook.
-Watch a video on the different regions
-Create a paper map of California labeling major cities and geographical features, and color coding the regions.
-Create a topographical map of California using salt-dough to replicate the paper version.
-Research a region of California in a group
-Prepare a report on the assigned region using a template provided by the teacher.
-Create a Power Point presentation to explain their findings to the rest of the class.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Aurora, this is perfect for fourth graders! The salt dough map sounds like lots of fun and learning!
ReplyDeleteI love the open ended application goal in stage one of how a region's characteristics and environment affects human activity!
I really like some of the learning events that you have laid out, in fact I have done the salt dough maps more times than I can remember! I know it is a good one. But I think that your stage 1 is not quite there. Stage 1 does not answer the question,"If the students really did understand this content, what would they then see and do differently?" I really struggled to get this down, and honestly I put exactly what you put on my very first try, but then read through the imaginary conversations from pages 44,45 of the UbD book.
ReplyDeleteThank you for that Jennifer!
ReplyDeleteThank you Dustin for your feed back as well. I thought in stage 1 we had to word it in a specific way (Students will learn...). What I thought I maybe worded incorrectly was my stage two. I am still trying to figure this type of lesson planning out, but I appreciate your comments. I will go back and re-read the pages you suggested, Thank you
I like your topic and I love even more that they are making a salt dough map! That is an amazing activity I don't think they will soon forget!
ReplyDelete